Who I am.
My name is Alan Hylands
and I am a writer, data consultant and developer
from Northern Ireland.
What I've done.
I've worked in tech, data and analytics
for nearly 20 years - building, reporting, analysing, managing and mentoring.
- Helped nurses provide better care for their patients by more accurately recording and reporting their treatments.
- Allowed small local businesses to successfully sell their goods to all four corners of the globe from the comfort of their own homes.
- Kept the savings of hundreds of thousands of ordinary people safe when the dark clouds of the financial crash loomed over us all.
- Built Customer Lifetime Value models to segment customer bases and get to know the best customers better.
- And much, much more (that I'm not allowed to tell about. Good old corporate NDAs.)
A little more background.
I studied Accounting
at university and planned for a future in finance.
Then I found the internet, programming and databases
I started my first e-commerce
development agency in 2003. Since then I have worked on a number of small business start-ups in e-commerce, analytics, marketing, online research and content marketing.I started a successful football website
which gave me the opportunity to write professionally for the New York Times Company
Quite unexpectedly, I was seduced into the corporate world of banking and financial services
in the boom-time mid-noughties.
I spent over twelve years running Data and Analytics projects
for a large UK and Ireland banking group. I worked my way up through the ranks from senior data analyst to senior analytics manager to Head of Retail Commercial Excellence
We operated as a small, highly skilled mini-consultancy, helping guide the business on getting most value out of their commercial data driven projects and programmes.
Now in my own consulting work at Santinotech
, I bring all of my technical, analytical and entrepreneurial experience
to the table to get results for our customers.
I am also Technical Director
at Cura Fitness
, a boutique fitness studio based in County Down, Northern Ireland.
Where you can find me.
I live in the same small town I grew up in with my beautiful and very talented wife and our two equally beautiful and talented daughters.
You can contact or follow me on the sites below: