Who I am.
My name is Alan Hylands and I am a data consultant and freelance writer from Northern Ireland.
What I’ve done.
I’ve worked in tech, data and analytics for nearly 20 years – building, reporting, analysing, managing and mentoring.
- Helped nurses provide better care for their patients by more accurately recording and reporting their treatments.
- Allowed small local businesses to successfully sell their goods to all four corners of the globe from the comfort of their own homes.
- Kept the savings of hundreds of thousands of ordinary people safe when the dark clouds of the financial crash loomed over us all.
- Built Customer Lifetime Value models to segment customer bases and get to know the best customers better.
- And much, much more (that I’m not allowed to tell about. Good old corporate NDAs.)
A little more background.
I studied Accounting at university and planned for a future in finance.
Then I found the internet, programming and databases.
I started my first e-commerce development agency in 2003. Since then I have worked on a number of small business start-ups in e-commerce, analytics, marketing, online research and content marketing.
I started a successful football website which gave me the opportunity to write professionally for the New York Times Company.
Quite unexpectedly, I was seduced into the corporate world of banking and financial services in the boom-time mid-noughties.
I’ve since spent the past twelve years running Data and Analytics projects for a large UK and Ireland banking group. I’ve worked my way up through the ranks from senior data analyst to senior analytics manager to Head of Retail Commercial Excellence.
We act as a small, highly skilled mini-consultancy, helping guide the business on getting most value out of their commercial data driven projects and programmes. I bring all of my financial, analytical and entrepreneurial experience to the table to get results for our customers – just as I do in my own consulting work.
I am also Technical Director at Cura Fitness, a boutique fitness studio based in County Down, Northern Ireland. We offer group fitness classes and personal training to ladies of all ages, shapes, sizes and fitness levels. I run the back office operations including finances, data, technology and administration.
Where you can find me
I live in the same small town I grew up in with my beautiful and very talented wife and our two equally beautiful and talented daughters.
You can email me: alan AT alanhylands DOT com
For some corporate validation, my CV is also on LinkedIn.