My name is Alan Hylands and I am a data analyst and writer from Northern Ireland.
I've worked in tech, data and analytics for the past 20 years - building, reporting, analysing, managing and mentoring.
- Helped nurses provide better care for their patients by more accurately recording and reporting their treatments.
- Allowed small local businesses to successfully sell their goods to all four corners of the globe from the comfort of their own homes.
- Kept the savings of hundreds of thousands of ordinary people safe when the dark clouds of the financial crash loomed over us all.
- Built Customer Lifetime Value models to segment customer bases and get to know the best customers better.
- And much, much more (that I'm not allowed to tell about. Good old corporate NDAs.)
A little more background. permalink
I studied Accounting at university and planned for a future in finance.
Then I found the internet, programming and databases.
I started my first e-commerce development agency in 2003. Since then I have worked on a number of small business start-ups in e-commerce, analytics, marketing, online research and content marketing.
I started a successful football website which gave me the opportunity to write professionally for the New York Times Company.
Quite unexpectedly, I was seduced into the corporate world of banking and financial services in the boom-time mid-noughties.
I spent over twelve years running Data and Analytics projects for a large UK and Ireland banking group. I worked my way up through the ranks from senior data analyst to senior analytics manager to Head of Retail Commercial Excellence.
What I'm doing now. permalink
In early 2020, I joined Zapier as a Senior Data Scientist.
I am also Technical Director at Cura Fitness, our family boutique fitness studio based in County Down, Northern Ireland.
Where you can find me. permalink
You can contact by email: alan AT alanhylands DOT com
On this contact form
Follow me on Twitter for occasional data hot takes and regular moaning about Tottenham Hotspur.